How to deal with gatekeeping?

Started by DU2XXR, Mar 19, 2024, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DU2XXR

I usually keep an open mind when someone critiques or even criticizes the things I do. I don't presume to know it all, but I don't think I stress this enough--I am aware that many follow my websites and feeds for the information or knowledge that I share.

Again, I am merely a learner myself. Whatever I share, I also learn from experimentation and experience. Sometimes I do stupid things so you won't have to. Many times, I doubt myself. And I am aware that amateur radio is a very technical hobby, which requires some knowledge of regulations and electronics, which is for good reason.

However, in the recent days, I encountered what I can only describe as gatekeeping.
I do look up to a lot of fellow radio amateurs in our local community, especially those who have made considerable achievements and sharing of knowledge. Many are helpful, especially to newer hams and newer enthusiasts who are very eager to learn, experiment, and explore.

There are a few exceptions, however. There are people, whom I would describe as very intelligent and knowledgeable, but who seem to take too much pride in their own achievements at the expense of bringing other people down.

For example, some are classist when it comes to regulatory licensing class and who look down upon other hams with different license classes. Some would not even bother to talk to you if you don't have an advanced electronics or engineering degree and would talk negatively about you personally or condescendingly pick on details where you were wrong.

I am sharing this, even though I know that things will never change with some people. For some, that is just how they are, and it will be pointless for me to hope for change.

What I am writing here is probably just a reminder to myself, because I tend to be too naive and over-eager. I get ahead of myself in excitedly sharing my discoveries. But I also have insecurities because of my own limitations in skill, credentials, and resources.

I am also not completely innocent myself, too. Please excuse me if there were times you sought insights but I was unable to help (I only have limited time and energy, after all).

My message for those eager to learn and discover is this. If you have ever felt alienated in this radio hobby of ours, or if you have encountered gatekeepers who consider only their own interests to be important (be it mode of operation, license class, knowledge of certain matters. etc)--you are not alone. I know it can be discouraging. But focus on the things you can achieve, and work on things you are interested in. And be mindful and selective of the people you trust and deal with. The internet and social media, after all, only work to amplify both the best and the worst in human nature.

KD9TTB

I have encountered a few (but not many) in ham radio who were less than inviting.  I recall one guy who, unsolicited as I was trying to make a contact with someone in Germany tell me to give up because I didn't have an amplifier.  I have just learned to ignore those folks.  It really goes against the everything the hobby has ever stood for. The Elmers are supposed to help the rest of us.